July 01, 2008
Kristen Anne Labrie - Charged With Reckless Engangerment After Allegedly Depriving Cancer Sticken Son Of Vital Treatments And Medications
Salem, Mass (The Weekly Vice) -- There is a special place in hell that burns just a little hotter for the particularly loathsome souls who exact torture on a child. If found guilty, we hope the mother above will suffer some serious eternal chap-ass for the crime she's accused of committing. It's absolutely nauseating and inexcusable.
Kristen Anne Labrie, a 36 year old Beverly, Massachusetts woman has been arrested and charged with reckless child endangerment after prosecutors say she withheld critical cancer treatments from her son that will likely result in his death.
Jeremy Fraser, Labrie's 8 year old autistic son had an excellent prognosis when he was first diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. His chances of recovery were put at 85%-90% and doctors battled the disease into remission. Now, after the boy was allegedly deprived of vital cancer treatment to maintain his good health, Jeremy's chance of survival has plummeted to just 10%. Experts do not expect Jeremy to make it to his 9th birthday.
Prosecutors say LaBrie did not fill at least half of the prescriptions her son was given; something Jeremy's doctor and investigators checked by examining pharmacy and insurance records. She also canceled at least a dozen vital chemo-tharapy appointments.
As a result of the non-treatment, doctors filed a report of suspected neglect with the state after discovering that the child's cancer had returned, something they contend would not have happened had the treatments and medications continued as required.
"It's back and in a far more deadly form," MacDougall told Judge Michael Uhlarik. "He is not expected to survive."
LaBrie's attorney Kevin James, argued that the charges stem from a "contentious divorce," an argument MacDougall immediately countered by pointing out it was a doctor who reported LaBrie.
Prosecutors asked the judge to set bail in the case at $1,000, however the judge denied the request and set LaBrie free without bail. She is due back in court on August 13th.
The Weekly Vice Opinion:
Here we go again, another bleeding heart judge who fails to see the real significance of what adults do to children. Letting this mother out of jail on no bond is nothing less than an outrage.
While this wasn't a direct physical beating we are talking about - it's a physical beating just the same. This little boy's body was physically beaten down by the alleged intentional will of the mother, who allegedly had more important things to do than get her son every treatment he needed to remain healthy.
Good God, Kristen - What on Earth could possibly be more important to your petty little life than making sure you got your own son to every single chemo-tharapy appointment? It's cancer for heaven's sake, not a toothache.
Instead of smugly calling the charge a "weak case" through your dingleberry attorney, you had better hope those charges aren't upgraded to manslaughter if this child dies before you're prosecuted.
We want to wish Eric Fraser, the child's father our prayers for his son. The son this woman apparently ignored because she had "other things more important" to do. Please accept our most sincere wishes for your son's recovery. We know you'll take good care of him now that he's in your care.
The Weekly Vice